When do they meet: 2nd Tuesday of each month at Noon
Where do they meet: Grant City Hall
Consists of: Three (3) to six (6) members who are residents of the City of Grant, except that one (1) member may reside outside the City limits.
Term: Three (3) Year Term
Minimum for Quorum: Three (3) Members
Funded: Either by City Council from the General Fund or through a tax levy not exceeding the maximum limit prescribed by state law on the actual valuation of all real estate and personal property within the City that is subject to taxation. (Neb. Rev. Stat. §§12-301 through 12-403)
POWERS AND DUTIES:
A. The Cemetery Board shall have the general care, management, and supervision of the city cemetery with the power and authority to limit and regulate the number of cemetery lots that may be owned by the same person; to prescribe rules for enclosing, adorning, and erecting monuments and tombstones on cemetery lots; and to prohibit any diverse or improper use thereof; provided, no religious tests shall be made as to the ownership of lots, the burial therein, and the ornamentation of graves.
B. The board shall pass rules and regulations for the proper use of the cemetery and prescribe penalties and fines for violations thereof. The board shall use all revenue received from the sale of lots, gifts, or by devise for the care, management, and administration of the cemetery.
C. The board, with respect to part or all of one or more lots owned of record by the same person or persons, are empowered to:
1. Review rules and regulations and advise the mayor and City Council as to the same;
2. Change or improve the condition of any burial lot in the cemetery if such burial lot is overgrown with weeds or is otherwise so unsightly as to seriously disfigure the burial ground;
3. Remove or repair any monument, curbing, marker or other property placed or located on any burial lot in a cemetery, except metal markers provided for war veterans as provided in Neb. Rev. Stat. §80-107, which has become so unsightly, dilapidated, or decayed as to disfigure the rest of the cemetery, if the owner(s) of record or their next of kin fail to do so within 30 days after notice is given as set forth in Neb. Rev. Stat. §12-802. Metal markers provided for veterans’ graves may be moved on the grave for the purpose of permanent placement; and
4. Comply with any and all rules and regulations as set forth by the city and the laws of the State of Nebraska. (Neb. Rev. Stat. §§12-401, 12-403, 12-801, 12-804)
5. The Cemetery Board shall have the authority to appoint a sexton, who shall perform such duties and make such reports as the board shall direct. It shall be the duty of the sexton to locate and direct the applicant to the correct lot and to dig and excavate or cause the same to be dug and excavated in compliance with the rules and regulations of the board. (Neb. Rev. Stat. §12-403)